The Gift

In Your Image, I Have Always Been

scream03

GENESIS 3:4 -

I watch in horror as blood erupts from my gut.

It spills down my leg, splattering the pavement at my feet as the beast plunges his taloned fist into my exposed abdomen. The asphalt becomes a sanguine torrent of liquid black as my poisoned vital fluids flee their undesirable shell, choosing instead to disappear into the cracks of the darkened alley.

Since I've spent so much of my time here over the years acting out my version of a life lived on the edge, I suppose it's only fitting that here in this alley is where I find my own end.

Blood oozes over the band of my jeans as a new warmth spreads from my groin, wetting the denim and filling the air with the acrid scent of urine. Razor-sharp fingernails slice effortlessly through the toilet-paper-thin walls of my innards as he buries his hard, calloused fist inside me. I feel his fingers grabbing at my insides -- searching.

Like a deadly eel darting in and out of its lightless coral care, his long tongue slithers from between cracked and gruesome lips. I've seen this face before and felt his tongue against my skin. It is warm, nearly comforting in its familiarity. The tip slaps against my face lapping up nervous sweat, consuming my wet fear like so many times before.

For most of my life, I was never one considered prone to innocence, preferring instead to walk a broad road and enter life's common challenges through the widest of gates.  Having been perhaps one of the farthest from what could be called a religious man, it now should come to no surprise to me that my chosen path would lead me here -- to this alley and to this union.

It's only now, with the beast's arm buried up to the elbow inside my gut, that I realize the painful offer I long-ago mistakenly accepted as a gift was actually more of a curse. I've been a dead man since that moment I accepted the offer, but it's only now that I fully understand the ramifications of a life led fraught with bad choices.

He moves in closer. Serpentine eyes, the color of jade, burn into my soul. He's all knowing. And I no longer want to share.

The stench of his demonic breath attacks my nostrils as uncontrollable tears stream down my face. I cry in selfish absolution of the memories of the many people I've harmed and for the terrible acts I've committed.

It's been said that at the moment of judgement the events of your life, both good and bad, flash before your eyes. It's not true. I know that now. Your life's work hits you all at once, like a monster punch in the stomach with relentless fingers that tear you apart from the inside out. In an instance, the years of guilt rip at me, tearing at what must be the soul I thought I never had.

His clawed hand continues to dig. Deeper than I had imagined could ever be possible, as if trying to reach into my gullet and pull a scream from my throat. His digits rummage through my organs, searching for that single piece of collateral that will secure between us the contract that, we together, agreed upon so many years ago.

And I wept. "Like Jesus," I thought.

And he pulled.

I now know that I will never be alone again...

Below are a list of Related posts:

1. Solitude
  2. Flight

21 Comments

1. Vegetarian Cannibal says:

Me gusta! I enjoyed reading this...delicious! :D

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you, dear Cannibal. Well, vegetarian cannibal that is. So, does that mean you are a plant? Or an animal? *beastly smile* Glad you like the mini-story. Hope to keep you coming back for more. *appreciative grin*

• Daemonwulf says:

HA! Dear Cannibal, just read your bio on your blog. And I am happy to know you too eat babies and clowns -- two of my favorite delicacies... *gruesome grin*

2. PDX Werewolf says:

Extremely dark and sadistic, and I read this with great pleasure, oh Wulven one.

• Daemonwulf says:

Yes, that's me, the Sadistic One. *sharp smile* I may also be part masochist as well (just an FYI)... *de-Sade-ish giggle* Thank you very much brother for visiting, reading, and most importantly, taking the time to share your comments. They are greatly appreciated. *dark-and-sadistic smile*

3. Spreading the Writer's Word says:

[...] more if you’ve the guts >>> Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

4. Nephy says:

I really enjoyed that :) I raises a lot of questions. Like, what lies behind the heart, and what does it taste like?

Seriously. Nice writing, very creepy and very dark, and short enough to be able to consume whole. Just my kind of stuff

• Daemonwulf says:

Oh Fallen One, thank you so very much for your immensely kind words. This, and the other pieces currently on my site, are excerpts of a large work in progress. It was my intention to give readers a 'taste' (so to speak) into the extent of condition. You are right. There are many questions, that will be answered when all is said and done. And, when all is said and done, I do hope to have answered at least most of those nags that are roaming around in your head. *secretive smile*

5. Angel D. Vargas says:

Very good. Darkness is rarely described this well, viscera and all..

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you very much Angel. Your words are greatly appreciated. *toothy grin*

6. Linzi says:

Nothng says great horror fiction than the spilling of a few innards *grins* I love it here.....

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you M'dame Lindsey. As a wulf who knows his way around some 'innards,' (*eviscerating smile*) I am pleased that you have an appreciation for their spillage. *appreciative chuckle* Glad to have you wandering the halls of the WulvesDen. I appreciate your affection for our site, and only hope that I am able to maintain your predilection for the gruesome. *morbid grin*

7. Courtney James says:

Thanks for the nightmares. I'll be back for more when they run out. You have some seriously mad talent raging in that brain of yours.

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you Oh Copywriter from the Great White North. *Canadian smile* I very much appreciate your comments and do hope to be able to add to your nocturnal meanderings... In a most diabolical way, of course. *devious grin*

8. Joel Hunter Gun says:

"...I feel my heart beating faster, pulsing against his forearm as he pushes it aside, reaching somewhere behind to grasp at that piece of me that I long ago forgot existed. I feel it now, for the first time since my childhood." Hell yeah! I felt as if I could feel the slimy insides as the heart beat and the taloned hand was reaching inside! Love it!

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you Sir Gun of the Clan of Hunter... *wulven grin* Thanks much for stopping by and stepping into my twisted mind... Hope I was able to turn your insides to slimy, liquid goo.... *oozing smile*

9. Bernadette Davies says:

Bloody hell, riveting ! Was eating and all the time I was reading, the fork stood hovering in the air, not quite making it to my mouth I was so engrossed

• Daemonwulf says:

Wow! Now that is some compliment. *humbled look* I do so appreciate you taking the time to venture into my twisted reality and even more that you chose to share your thoughts. Dear Bernie, you are gem! *shiny-toothed smile*

10. Nina D'Arcangela (@Sotet_Angyal) says:

Gorgeously dark and disturbing!

• Daemonwulf says:

Why thank you Darc Seductress of Doom... It's a bit of a glimpse into my tortured soul; would you expect anything less of me? *falsely-innocent look* *sly wulven smile as follow-up*